Last updated: 1st Jan 2021
Finding the best wifi router is difficult because there are a number of brands available with so many models.
Before moving to the list of best home wifi router in India, let’s check the factors you should consider while making the buying decision.
Types of Routers
- RJ45 Input – This connection standard is used by Hathway airtel reliance. It is used with ethernet ports.
- RJ11 Input – You will find RJ11 input in landline connections that offer internet connection using asymmetric digital subscriber line(ADSL). In India, BSNL, MTNL, and Airtel offer these types of connections.
- USB – USB port is present in some of the routers that allow users to plug in their internet dongle and create a wifi network.
- Sim Card – Some routers also come with a sim card slot through which users can create a wifi network.
802.11n standard is the widely used standard across router brands. It has better speeds than the older IEEE 802.1a, b, or g standards.
The 802.11ac, on the other hand, is a next-generation IEEE technology. It is 7 times faster than the IEEE 802.11n standard. This standard is found in higher-end routers and is expensive.
2.4 GHz band provides lower speeds as compared to the 5 GHz band. But one advantage of the 2.4 GHz is its extended range capability due to the ability of signals penetrating walls and other obstacles.
5GHz band, on the other hand, offers high speeds, but the range drops drastically if you are not in the line of sight with the router as a 5GHz signal does not penetrate well through the walls.
Choosing a router based on radio bands is important if you live in an apartment where there is a chance of multiple wifi networks, all at 2.4Ghz band. This leads to signal interference and frequent drops in connection.
However, if your router has a 5GHz option as well, you can switch to the 5Ghz band which has the least interference from surrounding networks and wireless appliances giving you a fast stable connection.
If you intend to use your router to physically connect a few devices to router via ethernet cables, you should be aware of how many LAN ports the router is having.
WiFi Protected Access (WPA) is an encryption standard used in wireless routers to encrypt the data in wireless transmission. There are multiple standards – WEP (older standard), WPA, and WPA2.
WPA2 is the latest and secure standard.
TP-Link TL-WR841N router uses RJ45 ethernet connector. The router supports 802.11bgn standard and works on 2.4 GHz band. You can expect maximum speeds of upto 300 Mbps.
The router has 2 antennas each having 3.5 dBi power which is enough to cover a 2 bedroom apartment.
You also get 4 LAN ports at the back for wired connections to connect your PC and laptops. Another feature is that you can control and configure the router with TP-Link tether app.
TP-Link router has a WPS switch for safety of the data transmission over the network and it supports the latest IPv6 protocol.
- Performance —— 300Mbps wireless speed ideal for interruption sensitive applications like HD video streaming
- Guest Network —— provides separate access for guests while securing the home network
- IPv6 —— compatible with IPv6 (Internet Protocol version 6)
- WPS button —— easy wireless security encryption at a push of WPS button
- IPTV —— supports IGMP Proxy/Snooping, Bridge and Tag VLAN to optimize IPTV streaming
Pros of TP-Link TL-WR841N Wireless N Cable
- Compatible with all major ISP’s
- 4 Lan ports for connection.
- 3 year warranty.
Cons of TP-Link TL-WR841N Wireless N Cable
- It suffers from external interference as it operates only in 2.4 GHz.
Tenda F3 is a budget offering from tenda that uses IEEE 802.11b/g/n standard so it can support speeds up to 300 Mbps.
The router supports 2.4GHz radio band and has 3 omnidirectional antennae having 5 dBi power for better coverage. You get 3 LAN ports on the back and a WAN port to connect the incoming internet connection.
You can be sure about the security of your network as Tenda F3 support WPA, WPA2 WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK encryption standards.
You can control WiFi ON and OFF schedules in the tenda mobile application.
Tenda offers a 3 year warranty on the router.
- 3 5Dbi External Antennas Boost Wifi to Each Corner of your House, you Can Enjoy Entire-Home Wifi Coverage and Lag Wifi Performance
- Ip Based Bandwidth Control Allows Administrators to Determine How Much Bandwidth is Allotted to Each Pc
- Supports Wpa, Wpa2, Wpa-Psk Wpa2-Psk Security Mechanism to Enhance Security Level
- Easy Setup Interface Makes you Can Enjoy Wifi Experience Effortlessly, F3 Makes you Enjoy a Easy and Wheeling E-Life
Pros of Tenda F3 300Mbps Wireless N Wi-Fi Router
- Easy to install and configure
- Wide coverage
Cons of Tenda F3 300Mbps Wireless N Wi-Fi Router
- Poor after-sales services.
TP-Link Archer C6 Dual-Band Wireless Router provides you up to 1.2 Gbps speed – 300 Mbps on 2.4GHz band and 867 Mbps on 5GHz band. The Qualcomm chipset provides you stable connection without any lag.
If you already have a wifi network, you can use Archer C6 router as an access point.You can also use the router as a repeater in a network to increase the range of WiFi.
The router has MIMO (Multiple Input, Multiple Output) technologies that enable faster data transmission of up to 1200 Mbps.
TP-Link router has 4 omnidirectional antennas each having 5dBi power for better coverage and stable connection throughout the home.
You get 4 Gigabit LAN ports for high speed wired connection to your computer and other devices. Archer C6 router is also equipped with a WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) to connect devices safely and in a hassle-free manner.
- AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi —— 867 Mbps at 5 GHz and 300 Mbps at 2.4 GHz band
- MU-MIMO Technology —— Simultaneously transfers data to multiple devices for 2× faster performance
- Boosted Coverage —— Four external antennas equipped with Beamforming technology extend and concentrate the Wi-Fi signals
- Access Point Mode —— Supports AP Mode to transform your wired connection into wireless network
- Easy Setup —— Set up your Wi-Fi in minutes with TP-Link Tether app.
Pros of TP-Link Archer C6 Dual-Band Wireless Router
- Qualcomm chipset for reliable performance
- Versatile as it can be used as a router as well as an access point.
- High power antennas resulting in better coverage.
- 4 Gigabit LAN ports
- 3 years warranty
Cons of TP-Link Archer C6 Dual-Band Wireless Router
- Not found any
iBall Baton supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio bands. You can switch between the two depending on your needs.
iBall baton features 4 omnidirectional antenna having 5dBi power. Beamforming technology embedded into the router helps you in getting better coverage.
iBall baton has an application through which you can manage the router. The app has features like a remote wake up, parental control and many more.
iBall baton router has multiple user multi input multi output (MU – MIMO) technology that ensures high speed and stable connections with reducing frequent drops.
- Dual band AC technology (2.4GHz + 5GHz)
- Smart Mobile App
- 5dBi x 4 Omni-directional antennas
- Operation mode: Router/WISP/Access Point
- Latest Beamforming technology for wider coverage
Pros of iBall Baton iB-WRD12EN Band Wireless AC Router
- Dual-band feature
- High speeds
- Stable connection
- Latest technologies included
Cons of iBall Baton iB-WRD12EN Band Wireless AC Router
- Connection drops at 5GHz
Check out this article also Best Dual Band Wifi Router India
TP-Link TL-WR940N supports only 2.4GHz radio band. The router makes sense if your devices do not support 5 GHz frequency and have a normal ethernet connector to connect to a modem.
The router has 3 nondetachable omnidirectional antennae of 5 dBi power that gives good coverage and increased network performance.
The use of MIMO technology help in managing network traffic between your connected devices.
TP-Link router is rated at 450 Mbps speed and has 4 LAN ports for wired connections.
On the security front, you get 64/128/152 bit WEP/WPA/WPA2 and WPA2-PSK encryption which is the latest and safest one to protect your network.
There is also a WPS switch to encrypt the data transfer in the network with just a button press. TP-Link offers 3 years warranty on this product.
- 450Mbps Wi-Fi Speed —— 450Mbps wireless speed ideal for interruption sensitive applications like HD video streaming
- Antenna —— Three antennas increase the wireless robustness and stability
- WPS Button —— Easy wireless security encryption at a push of WPS button
- Bandwidth Control —— assigns your preferred devices with more bandwidth
Pros of TP-Link TL-WR940N Wireless-N450 Home Router
- Access control (guest network, parental control)
- Firewall security
- 3 year warranty
Cons of TP-Link TL-WR940N Wireless-N450 Home Router
- Some users have complained about range issues.
Also read – Best Wifi routers under 1500
DSL-2750U supports 802.11b/g/n standard and has 2.4GHz radio band capable of providing speeds of up to 300 Mbps.
However ADSL2/2+ standards provide speeds up to 24 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upstream so you no need to worry about the speed of router.
Two 5 dBi antennas provide an ample amount of coverage if you are in a 2 bedroom home. You are also protected from hacks due to the SPI firewall that supports spyware and malware.
2750U Router makes sense if you are looking for BSNL connection at your home. The router comes with a DSL modem so you don’t have to buy a modem separately.
- Latest ADSL2/2+ standard provides internet transmission of up to 24 Mbps downstream, 1 Mbps upstream
- Wireless N technology is ideal for high-speed wireless connections, and is compatible with 802.11n/g/b wireless devices
- Firewall protection, user access control, WPA/WPA2 wireless security, and priority queues
Pros of D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless Router
- Works well with BSNL Broadband.
- Firewall protection
- 3 year warranty
- Dual antenna
Cons of D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless Router
- Only suitable for the BSNL Broadband connection.
TP-Link Archer C20 is also a budget offering from TP-Link that works with internet service providers like Airtel.
Archer C20 supports the newer and faster 802.11ac/n/a 5GHz band and is also backward compatible with older IEEE 802.11b/g/n standard. This means you can use this router as an extender if you have a network with older routers as well.
Since it has 802.11ac standard, it supports speeds upto 433 Mbps in the 5GHz band and 300 Mbps in the 2.4GHz band. Which is great if your requirement is for multiple users with high bandwidth requirements.
The Archer AC 20 router has 3 omnidirectional antennas that provide enough bandwidth and a stable connection to each user.
You get 4 LAN ports each supporting 100 Mbps speed for wired connections. For security and to protect the wireless data transmission, encryption standards like WPS/WEP/WPA2-PSK are used.
- 750 Mbps Dual Band Wi-Fi —— Simultaneous 2.4GHz 300Mbps and 5GHz 433Mbps connections for 733Mbps of total available bandwidth. WiFi Range : 2 Bedroom Houses (3× Fixed Antennas)
- Antennas —— 3 external antennas provide stable omnidirectional signal and superior wireless coverage
- Working Modes —— Router Mode, Access Point Mode, Range Extender Mode.
- Wireless Standards —— IEEE 802.11ac/n/a 5 GHz, IEEE 802.11n/b/g 2.4 GHz
- Interface —— 1× 10/100 Mbps WAN Port, 4× 10/100 Mbps LAN Ports
Pros of TP-Link Archer C20 Wireless Dual Band Router
- Support newer 802.11ac standard.
- Dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz)
- 3 antennas
- 3 year Warranty
Cons of TP-Link Archer C20 Wireless Dual Band Router
- Does not work with BSNL
- Bandwidth allocation feature works in 2.4GHz and not in the 5GHz band.
Netgear WNR614 N300 comes with an 802.11n standard that supports speeds up to 300 Mbps on a 2.4GHz radio band.
Netgear has 2 antennas each having 5dBi power provide enough coverage for small to medium houses. Few users have reported good signal strength even through 2 walls.
There are 4 LAN ports at the back. It is also easy to wall mount which makes it convenient to connect if you have multiple computers on a desk.
The router features double firewall protection (SPI & NAT) which protects your network from malware and spyware. Netgear offers a 2 year warranty on the router.
- Input Type RJ-45 (Ethernet Cable) supported by neighbourhood cable broadband ISPs such as Hathway, ACT, Tikona, Airtel Fibrenet, MyWorld, Nextra, Siti Cable, You Broadband, Spectranet etc
- This Router Does Not Include Modem and works well with Cable Broadbands
- Netgear WNR614 N300 Wireless Router with External Antenna
- N300 WiFi speed
- External antennas for improved WiFi coverage
Pros of Netgear WNR614 N300 WiFi Router
- Easy to configure.
- 2 year warranty
- Firewall protection.
Cons of Netgear WNR614 N300 WiFi Router
- No dual band support at this price point
- Power and Wi-Fi ON/OFF is not present
- No ADSL compatibility
You can also read this article Best WiFi Router Under 2000
Cisco e1200 wireless n300 router is known for its reliable connection and fast speeds.
The router works on IEEE 802.11n technology and has speeds upto 300 mbps.
Cisco e1200 works on MIMO technology with an antenna built into the body so there are no protruding antenna.
You get Four ethernet ports for wired connections. Linksys router also support WPA WPA2 protocols for the security of your network.
- UP TO N300 MBPS SPEED: N300 wireless router brings speed and reliability to your Wi-Fi connection.
- ADVANCED WIRELESS SECURITY: Safeguard your network with wireless WPA/WPA2 encryption and an SPI firewall.
- GUEST ACCESS: Create a guest network with a unique password for convenient and secure guest access.
- Fast wireless speed with 4 Fast Ethernet ports. Reliable wireless coverage with Advanced security. Easy 3-step setup, Quick to install & Easy to manage.
Pros of Cisco Linksys e1200 wireless n300 router
- MIMO antenna technology
- 2 year warranty
Cons of Cisco Linksys e1200 wireless n300 router
- Expensive for a single band router.
Netgear R6120-100INS has advanced features and newer 802.11 a/b/g/n network standard.
The newer standard supports 2.4GHz and 5 GHz bands that get you higher data transmission rates of 300 Mbps for 2.4Ghz and 867 Mbps at 5Ghz.
With 2 external antenna, you can expect better coverage which assists lag free multiplayer gaming and HD streaming at 5Ghz configuration.
You have 4 LAN ports supporting speeds up to 100 Mbps.
Netgear router also comes with Ready Share USB access that you can use for wireless media sharing across the network.
Netgear Genie app helps you control the router remotely and configure the network according to your needs.
- This router does not include modem and works well with cable broadbands
- Input type RJ-45 (Ethernet Cable) supported by neighbourhood cable broadband ISPs such as Hathway, ACT, Tikona, Airtel Fibrenet, MyWorld, Nextra, Siti Cable, You Broadband, Spectranet etc
- Wi-Fi speeds up to 300+900mbps
- Upgrade your Wi-Fi to support new AC devices
- Works with all N150, N300, N600 and AC devices
Pros of Netgear R6120-100INS AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router
- New wireless standard
- Supports Simultaneous dual-band transmission
- 2 year warranty
Cons of Netgear R6120-100INS AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router
- Wifi range is limited
- No gigabit LAN support
Asus RT-AC53 supports the newest 802.11ac standard and has a maximum speed of up to 750 Mbps. It is a dual-band router hence support for both 2.4 and 5GHz is present.
Three powerful 5 dBi antennas are sufficient for a 2 bedroom home to provide a robust connection.
You have 2 LAN Gigabit Ethernet ports that enables a wired connection of up to 1 Gbps, if you intend to stream high-quality media on your TV.
You can easily navigate the ASUS’s WRT GUI to configure the router easily and as per your requirement.
- High-speed performance, concurrent speed up to a combined 750 mbps data rate
- Smart control with the ASUS WRT dashboard UI, setup, monitor and control network applications all in one intuitive area
- Robust external antenna, 3 external strong antenna enhances signal transmission
- High power design in pursuit of ultimate capability
- Gigabit ethernet data transfer 10 times faster than 10/100 fast ethernet devices
Pros of ASUS RT-AC53 Gigabit WiFi Router
- Stable wireless connection.
- VPN server and client support
Cons of ASUS RT-AC53 Gigabit WiFi Router
- Slow boot time
- Connection drop issue in the 5 GHz band at corners of the house.
If you are looking for a budget router that works with all the major ISPs then TP-Link TL-WR841N gets the job done.
The city you’re in only has only BSNL as the service provider, the D-Link DSL-2750U is the router of choice as you get Modem inbuilt with this router.
iBall Baton iB-WRD12EN is an affordable mid-range router with the latest features and a companion app if you like to tinker with your network configuration on a regular basis.