Update on 02 Jan 2022
The D-Link DIR-600M is a high-performance router with a speed up to 150 Mbps. Quality assurance along with a reasonable price tag makes it one of the most popular routers.
D-Link DIR-600M high-end technology makes your broadband internet connection accessible wirelessly. You can connect all your Wi-Fi enabled devices, within a range of 10 meters, to the internet using this powerful D-Link router.
D-Link DIR-600M is pretty simple to set-up. You can do it by following the user-friendly instructions to enjoy wireless internet connection.
- Great Speed and Coverage: Share your Internet connection between your wired and wireless devices, with fast wireless speeds and the range to reach more places throughout your home
- Latest Wireless N 150 technology for increased speed and range, plus Repeater Mode to extend the reach of your existing wireless network
- Flexible connectivity for your devices: 10/100 Internet port to connect to broadband Internet with high transfer speeds; Four 10/100 LAN ports to connect wired devices for high-speed online activities
- Host of Security to help you stay secure: Keep your Internet activities safe with WPA/WPA2 wireless encryption and a NAT firewall - to control traffic and help protect your network from local and remote intrusions
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) to quickly and securely add devices to your network
D-Link DIR-600M Broadband Wireless Router Specifications and Features
- 10/100 WAN Port: D-Link DIR-600M router comes with a 10/100 Mbps WAN (Wide Area Network) port to which you need to connect your modem. This WAN port helps you to get high speed internet as it supports up to 100 Mbps speed.
- Four 10/100 LAN ports: You also get four 10/100 LAN ports that support speeds up to 100 Mbps. You can use these ports for reliable high speed wired connections. You can use these ports to connect your smart TV for high definition streaming. You can also connect your PC for downloading large files.
D-Link DIR-600m features a repeater mode that can receive signals from your existing network and boost them to increase the range of your Wi-Fi.
You can configure router to Repeater mode by following the steps:
- Go to admin panel – For D-Link router, it is usually by typing 192.168.0.1 in the web browser
- Log in by using the username and password. For the new D-Link router, the username will be “admin” and the password will be “1234” or “password”.
- Navigate to the Wi-Fi Network tab.
- Under this tab, select ‘Range Extender’.
- Select the ‘SSID’ or network name you want to extend.
- Enter your password for that network.
After this step your existing network will be extended by the router.
D-Link DIR 600M supports 802.11n wireless standard that offers speeds up to 150 Mbps.
Wireless N standard provides more stability, enhanced data transmission, thanks to MIMO (Multiple Input Multiple Output) support. This allows data to be transferred in multiple channels.
- NAT Firewall: You get the benefit of an inbuilt NAT Firewall that allows internet traffic to pass through the gateway only if a device on your network has requested it.
Apart from connected devices, any other requests or data packets are discarded thereby preventing hacks and intrusions in your network.
- WPS: WPS stands for Wi-Fi protected set-up. This network standard makes connections between the router and wireless devices safer. D-Link has support for WPA and WPA2 security protocols that encrypt your network passwords.
D-Link DIR-600M Broadband Wireless Router Range
D-Link DIR-600M router has a range of 15 to 20 meters with no walls in between. Inside the home, the range is around 10 meters (~33 feet) which provides drop free connection in a medium-size 2 BHK home.
D-Link DIR-600M supports the wireless N standard (802.11n) that allows for data transmission in 2.4 GHz band. You get the benefit of speeds up to 150 Mbps wireless connectivity with this standard.
The router is compatible with older standards like 802.11b and 802.11g. This is helpful when your modem uses the older wireless standards as you will not face any connectivity issues.
No USB port on this router which is common at this price point.
Check out – Best wireless routers under 1000 in India
D-Link DIR-600M Broadband Wireless Router Performance
D-Link DIR-600M is suitable for homes and small offices.
The boot time does not take long, giving you faster connection time.
The router’s Wi-Fi performance is suitable for medium-sized 2 BHK homes as it provides drop free connection throughout the house.
You get an RJ45 connector to the back that supports cable broadbands like ACT, Hathway, and other ISP’s. The router is capable of speeds up to 150 Mbps which means you can easily get the most out of your broadband connection.
The air vents at the front and bottom of the router prevent device heating and the related glitches.
D-Link DIR-600M Broadband Wireless Router Hardware and Build Quality
D-Link DIR-600M is made of durable glossy plastic. The dimensions are 27.4 x 20.8 x 6.8 cm and weigh 522 grams.
Lightweight and compact design saves your space and gives you an elegant look. You get two mounting holes at the back for wall mounting.
If you wish to keep it on the table, there are rubber feet that give the router a better grip on the surface. This prevents the chance of charging cable disconnecting overtime.
The single 5 dBi antenna is made of strong plastic and you can fold it in line with the router body making it easy to transport.
In the box, you get a 12-volt adapter with a proprietary round charging connector. You also get an RJ45 connecting wire to connect the router to your modem.
The device has 1 WAN port, 4 LAN Ports, and a power socket.
D-Link DIR-600M Broadband Wireless Router Price
D-Link Dir-600M N150 broadband wireless router’s price varies between Rs. 1000-1200 .
Best Use Case
D-Link DIR-600M router is a best-suited wifi router for home-usage with adequate range and signal strength for drop-free wireless connectivity.
You get four high-speed LAN ports for wired connection which is plenty to connect different devices at home.
The WPS security with support for WPA/WPA2 takes care of encrypting your data and the inbuilt NAT firewall helps you keep your home network safe from external hacks.
What Could Be Better
Range Beyond Walls
If you live in a large home with multiple walls in between rooms, the range drops quickly and you might experience frequent connection issues.
There is no dedicated WPS button for connecting devices to your wireless connection.
If you are using more than one LAN port for wired connections, you may experience slower speeds and connection drops that can lead to failed downloads.
The RJ45 cable included in the box, so you have to adjust your modem placements to get both things connected.
D-Link DIR-600M Setup
Setting up the D-Link router is easy with the web-based wizard offering step-by-step instructions. You should check how to connect the D-link DIR-600M wireless router and follow setup procedure.
- Connect the RJ45 cable from your modem to the WAN port of the D-link DIR-600M router.
- In your browser address bar, type the router IP address 192.168.0.1
- Enter the admin username and enter the password. For a new router, the username will be “admin” and password will be “password” or “1234”.
- After logging in, you will be on the home page. Select the setup option from the menu.
- In the setup window, you will find the “internet setup” option. Click on it and select next.
- On the next page, you have to fill the following options.
- WAN Access Type: PPPoE
- Username: as given by ISP.
- Password: as given by ISP.
- Service name: No need to fill this field.
- Connection type: Continuous.
- Once done, click on “apply changes” and restart the router. This completes the router setup.
If you are looking for a reliable, budget router for your home, D-Link DIR-600M is the best choice for you.
The router boast of all the basic functionalities like excellent range, security features, and speed to give you a complete wireless experience.